This section is for the "do it yourself" DIY bitcoin node setup. If you purchased a Tanto or Tanto Kit, or you are doing a Custom Build, then you can use the RoninCLI command line interface to setup the device.
The RoninDojo bitcoin node software is the backend for your Wallets, User Interface, Applications, and more. It is the software that has your back 24/7 when it comes to connecting your bitcoin wallet to a node and using bitcoin privately like electronic cash.
- If you have a Custom Build, please follow the assembly instructions from the manufacturer.
- If you have purchased a Tanto Kit do it yourself build, follow this assembly video tutorial:
- Download the latest RoninOS operating system from our downloads page onto your PC or laptop. Ensure you pick the image relevant to the device your are going to run RoninDojo node software on.
- Download Balena Etcher, which will allow you to flash the RoninOS onto your micro SD card.
- Open Balena Etcher, insert the micro SD card into your PC, select the image you just downloaded, and press flash.
- Once the flashing has completed, remove the micro SD card from your PC and insert into your Ronin device. Ensure your ethernet cable and SSD are connected then turn the device on.
Tanto users: please note the front LED will not illuminate until during Step 3 of the "Installation" instructions below. Please continue.
- Next we need to find out your RoninDojo's IP address so that we can log into it remotely using your PC. The simplist way to do this is by logging into your router's admin page and locating it from the device list. Alternatively, you can use a tool like Angry IP Scanner or if on mobile Network Analyzer to provide you with a list of devices on your local network.
- Now that we have the RoninDojo device IP address, log in using an SSH tool. Enter the command below into your chosen SSH tool to connect to your RoninDojo for the first time.
- Complete initial configuration process and set the username to:
- Use the command example shown below to login again via SSH, but amend accordingly with your devices IP address.
- Downloading the the latest version of RoninDojo.
git clone https://code.samourai.io/ronindojo/RoninDojo
- Run RoninDojo for the first time using the following command.
From now on, if you are using command line interface, all you need to do is type
ronin and press the enter key to pull up the main menu.
- From the user interface, navigate using your keyboard arrows and the enter button to get to the
System menu option.
- Then go to
System Setup & Install.
- Using the mouse or arrow keys, navigate to the menu items listed below, and select BOTH options by using the SPACEBAR or a MOUSE CLICK. Finally, press
OK for the setup and install process to begin. You may also press the
Cancel button to abort and return to previous menus.
- During installation, Electrum Rust Server will be installed by default. This is compatible with Samourai Wallet, as well as other bitcoin wallets such as Sparrow wallet.
- Once finished installing, you will see each docker container start up. Your RoninDojo is now downloading the enitre bitcoin blockchain. This process can take anywhere between 2 and 4 days depending on your chosen hardware and internet speeds. At this time it is safe to press any letter to continue forward.
- After the entire blockchain has finished downloading, the Indexer will begin compaction. This takes about 12 hours.
- Please note, there is a Blockchain Data Salvage check built in to RoninDojo. In the unlikely event that you break something, feel free to try reflashing your micro SD card and starting over. Your machine will be back online with all your hard earned block data in no time!
TIP: Your node will not be functional until the initial blockchain download and indexer compaction has finished.
NOTICE: If restarting your device, please wait 5 minutes for all services to start properly!
NOTICE: Do not force restart your Tanto or cut power as this can cause issues!
While waiting for your blockchain download to complete, get familiar with the RoninUI section.
See here for more info on Checking Bitcoin Logs and progress.
Check out the Troubleshooting page for more info.
Need help? Try out our Support Service.
Join the RoninDojo Chatroom and engage the community.